Bernard, List:

BM:  I was not trying to illustrate the project JAS is pursuing.

Thanks for clarifying this, I did not think that was your intent.

BM:  Nevertheless the Magritte painting is a Sign, a complex one. But it
needs to be perceived in order to act as such, I agree strongly with Robert
on this.

I agree that a sign must be perceived in order to *act *as such--i.e., it
must be embodied in an *actual *token that determines an *actual *(dynamical)
interpretant--but that is not what Robert stated.  Here is the relevant
part of our exchange again.

RM:  A sign is always a real thing that represents because to be sign it
must be perceived

JAS:  Something need not be perceived in order to qualify as a sign, as
long as it is *capable *of determining a dynamical interpretant by virtue
of having an immediate interpretant ... and a final interpretant ...

My point was that a sign need not be perceived in order to *be *a sign.

BM:  If it is possible to speak seriously about signs without referring
explicitly to their technical definitions, what does it mean to practice
"applied semiotics"?

This is an excellent question for those who routinely complain about the
supposedly excessive emphasis on semeiotic theory in List discussions.  We
cannot properly *apply *Peirce's ideas to today's problems unless we first
establish *what *those ideas were, which requires paying careful attention
to his technical definitions of the relevant terms.

BM:  If signs need an observer, who is this observer if not a sign himself?

Indeed, as I have noted previously, Peirce often uses "quasi-mind" in lieu
of "mind" when referring to both the utterer and the interpreter of a sign;
and he says that "every sign even if external to all minds must be a
determination of a quasi-mind. This quasi-mind is itself a sign, a
determinable sign" (SS 195, 1906).