Jon Schmidt, John Sowa, Gary Fuhrman, Gary Richmond, Robert Marty, List,

Jon S asked for references to texts where Peirce employs the distinction
between principles and laws. Peirce's definition in the Century Dictionary of
the term "principle" is instructive on this point. See the 4th and 5th senses
and the examples of uses by Aristotle, Hamilton, etc. Compare that the 3rd
sense of "law" in his definition of the term.

Here is a famous passage where Peirce explicitly employs the Kantian
distinction. It is especially pertinent to the passage you've quoted:

But every fact of a general or orderly nature calls for an explanation; and
logic forbids us to assume in regard to any given fact of that sort that it is
of its own nature absolutely inexplicable. This is what Kant calls a regulative
principle, that is to say, an intellectual hope. The sole immediate purpose of
thinking is to render things intelligible; and to think and yet in that very
act to think a thing unintelligible is a self-stultification. ... Among other
regular facts that have to be explained is law or regularity itself. (1.405-6)

I am confident that each of us is capable of looking up and analyzing other
passages that use the terms "law", "principle" and "logic" in the CP. As such,
I won't offer a laundry list of such passages.

For my part, I don't think the distinction is new with Kant. In fact it is
quite old. Kant simply tried to clarify well-established use of the
conceptions. Notice how easily we slide from talking about the principles
expressed in a theory, such as the principles of mechanics in Newton's theory
of physics, to talk about the laws. Doing so is often elliptical. We are often
saying on the supposition that this theory is true then the principles express
the real laws in nature. It is not odd to say that the principles in a given
theory turned out to be false. It is odd, however, to say the laws turned out
to be false. Rather, we say our supposition that the laws taken to be real in
given theory turned out to be false.

One reason there the meaning of these two terms appears to have changed over
time is that an original use of the term "law" is its juridical use. It appears
that the English term of a legal requirement was later applied to the real
regularities in nature. The order of Peirce's definitions suggests that he
understands the history of this term.

Notice the apparent differences in our respective approaches to reading these
texts. In my post, I was drawing on a secondary reference that I hold in high
esteem. Let me state the reference now, which is Richard Smyth's Reading Peirce
Reading. In his interpretation of the early essays, he interprets key arguments
in Peirce's justification of the validity of the laws of logic drawing on
Kantian ideas. This is not surprising given the weight Peirce places on his
reading of Kant's Critiques at this stage in the development of the theory of
critical logic.

When I'm trying to make sense of Peirce's writings, I find it is essential to
draw on the secondary literature and to sort out what seems more and less
helpful. At the same time, I'm trying to understand what Peirce is saying by
reading what he is reading. That, I think, is necessary to understand what he's
saying.

John Sowa suggests that a richer understanding of Peirce's inquiries can be
gained by seeing where they have taken later reachers who have followed in his
wake. As such, there are five sources that seem important to reading Peirce:

  1.  the texts themselves;
  2.  the secondary literature on Peirce;
  3.  the inquiries of philosophers, scientists, mathematicians (etc.) Peirce
was reading--especially those he was drawing on in a sustained manner;
  4.  the inquiries of those following in Peirce's wake (self-consciously or
not).

In addition to asking how Peirce used this or that term in a given text (as in
1, above), I think that it is essential that we (5) try to reconstruct his
arguments and, at the same time, engage in the inquiries ourselves. After all,
Peirce's writings were not written for armchair philosophers. Rather, they were
written for inquirers willing to engage in philosophy as an experimental
science.

Are there other resources not on this list that should be considered when
interpreting Peirce's arguments and inquiries? If so, then I think it is worth
saying so. That way, we can talk about the relative importance of these
different resources in our respective approaches. My hope is that we can
compare notes, acknowledge our differences, and learn from one another.

Doing so will put us all in a better position to engage with philosophers and
other inquirers who are not following in Peirce's wake--and who insist that
they have more fruitful assumptions and better methods than the pragmatic
methods we are looking to Peirce for guidance in putting to better use.

Hope that helps.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor