The problem is that there is no way for a single application to use multiple
versions of a module.  So it's easy to imagine that very specific module
prereqs could be in conflict and require manual override. That's not the
right answer.

What we need is application level dependencies that are specific and non
conflicting and then to make it easy to install into app specific lib
directories.

That's what im
On May 23, 2011 5:22 PM, "David E. Wheeler" <da...@kineticode.com> wrote:
> On May 20, 2011, at 11:04 AM, Jeffrey Thalhammer wrote:
>
>> I'm not attempting to build an all-encompasing dependency management
system. I've tried to avoid thinking about it in terms of CPAN as we know
it, since in theory, that is an implementation detail. But in practice, I'm
will stipulate that a "dependency" is just a Perl module in some CPAN
repository.

> Yeah, that's what's confusing me. To me, a "dependency" is a Perl module
in some CPAN repository that the module I'm trying to install right now
depends on. That is, it's listed in in the "prereqs" section of a META.json
file.

>> The trouble with CPANs is that they are a moving target -- modules are
constantly updated, added, and removed[1]. This creates problems for
developers that want to use the CPAN tool chain, but need to have a stable
set of dependencies. At the same time, they need flexibility to evolve those
dependencies in a systematic way.

> Well, the new version spec in CPAN Meta Spec 2.0 helps with this. You can
specify very precise requirements.

>> Thanks for bringing PGXN to my attention. The architecture is very
similar to what I was thinking. I will dig deeper to see if we can leverage
PGXN.

>> [1] I think a lot of this trouble would go away if the CPAN tool chain
simply permitted authors to express precisely which $VERSION of something
they require. So I have to wonder if that is the right place to focus,
rather than building something on top of the tool chain.

http://search.cpan.org/~dagolden/CPAN-Meta-2.110930/lib/CPAN/Meta/Spec.pm#Version_Ranges