--- "Mr. Nobody" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- Austin Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > --- Simon Cozens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> well
> > > be
> > >
> > > Sounds like the good old days of trigraphs.
> >
> > It's very much like the good old days of trigraphs. But on the plus
> > side, once all the losers get their fonts/xterms/editors
> up-to-speed on
> > extended character sets, the trigraphs will die a forgotten death.
> >
> > Oh, glorious future ...
> >
> > =Austin
>
> How about people who can't? Lots of people don't own the computer
> they're using, so to upgrade stuff they'd have to ask the sysadmin.
> And you know what happens when you annoy the sysadmin...

You remember that stoner kid who always sat at the back of the class
and pretty much C/D/F'ed every class?

That's what trigraphs are for -- the middle-to-bottom of the curve. If
you can't upgrade, and your admin won't upgrade, then you learn to use
the trigraphs.

Right now almost all of us are in that boat. And we're talking about
trigraph ops, like ~> and <~ and |~> and [+=] and whatever. As we get
better, more Unicapable, whatever, we'll move on to full Unicode ops.

Look at MIME -- once, the only way to email a binary file was with
uuencode. A few short years later, presto! Every pinhead in the
marketing department is attaching 4 gigabyte pdf files to their
corporate spam. It's the same thing -- if people want to do something,
and can benefit from it, then they'll drive it to happen.

Think about what would have happened if someone argued that NO files
should be binary, because we couldn't email binary files -- there'd be
no downloadable internet porn. :-(

A vote for Unicode is a vote for naked chicks! Go us!

=Austin