On 9/4/04 6:58 PM, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 05:59:18PM -0400, John Siracusa wrote:
>> Anyway, it'd be nice if Perl 6 supported some sort of equivalent to Mac OS
>> X's application wrappers: a dir tree containing all the files needed to run
>> Your Wonderful Perl Program.  To execute it, either run "YourApp.pmx/run" or
>> some standard path, or run "perl YourApp.pmx" and perl would know what to
>> do.  In both cases, there'd have to be some automatic @INC changes, etc.
>
> What of this doesn't PAR on Perl 5 give you today?

Well isn't that a well kept secret :)

Anyway, what it'll give me is "official" support for this type of thing.  In
particular, the Perl 6 executable itself should know what to make of such a
specially formed dir tree" how to adjust @INC automatically for me, what to
run, etc.--in the same way that Perl 5 knows to look for Foo/Bar.pm in @INC
when I use Foo::Bar.  It's just nice to have some things built-in to avoid
too much tedious bootstrapping.

-John