On 8/5/07, James Keenan via RT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed Aug 01 03:56:17 2007, jkeen <!-- x --> at verizon.net wrote:
> > On Jul 31, 2007, at 10:40 PM, Jerry Gay via RT wrote:
> >

> > > i do want to have the ability to script an entire configure session:
> > > that is, pass specific options to specific steps. this could be useful
> > > for cross-compilation (say, compiling on a desktop for a portable
> > > device.)
> > > ~jerry
> > >

> > This ticket will serve as a marker for evaluation and implementation
> > of this request.
> >
> > particle, could you sketch out the interface you would like for
> > this?  Specifically,
> >
> > (a) tell me exactly what you would call on the command-line;  and
> >
> > (b) give a rough sketch of what a file of desired options would look
> > like.
> >

> Still hoping for answers to the questions above.  In the meantime, I did
> some studying of particle's earlier attempt at this
> (http://perlcabal.org/svn/parrot/revision/?rev=18968).  Let me fine tune
> the questions:
>
> What, if anything, are you looking for in file-based configuration
> beyond (a) being able to omit specified configuration steps; and (b)
> being able to provide various options to specific steps (e.g.
> verbose-step for >1 step)?

there are three high-level use cases i see in cross-compilation:
1 platform porter develops the cross-compilation configuration
2 platform porter or build manager maintains the cross-compilation configuration
3 user runs the cross-compilation configuration

below is a brief requirements list for these use cases. at this early
point in the design process, the first two use cases are so similar
we'll consider them together.

1&2 develop/maintain cross-compilation configuration:
~ specify which configure steps are run
~ specify order in which configure steps are run
~ specify which options are passed to each configure step
~ use human-readable data format and storage (e.g. flat files used in
my example code)
~ provide central location for storage and organization of
cross-compilation configuration data (e.g. directory specified in my
example code)

3 run cross-compilation configuration:
~ simple, documented method of invocation (e.g. C<perl Configure.pl
--config=dirname/filename>.) i'm not married to the option name

let me know if you have questions or comments.
~jerry