To summarize issues raised in this ticket:

1.  Parrot::Configure::runstep() has been renamed
Parrot::Configure::run_single_step().

2.  Additional tests have been written for it is quite high
(http://thenceforward.net/parrot/coverage/configure-build/lib-Parrot-Configure-pm.html)
-- but not yet perfect.

3.  The functionality for re-running a particular configuration step
(e.g., for regenerating a Makefile between configuration and build) has
been moved to tools/dev/reconfigure.pl.  This is the sole location
where, to my knowledge, run_single_step() is invoked.

4.  Discussion of file-based configuration has been moved to
https://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=44315.

5.  Since run_single_step() is post-configuration functionality, it
doesn't truly belong (IMHO) in a package devoted to configuration per
se.  Just as I proposed (and implemented) a distinction between the
locations in which configuration options processing and
post-configuration options processing are found, I intend to develop a
patch which would move run_single_step() out of Parrot::Configure and
into a class devoted to post-configuration reprocessing.

But that's a subject for a different RT ticket.  I'm sick of looking at
this ticket and am closing it now.

kid51