What kind(s) of pests are you trying to exclude (or contain)? Ideally, the
floor could be amended so that it is flat and parallel to the door bottom. That
way, any kind of sweep would afford value. If the floor cannot readily be
leveled, then consider installing a robust level threshold on the floor. That
works, but it can pose an impediment to foot and cart traffic. This works well
in some places, but would be a trip hazard elsewhere.

A brush sweep can be forgiving of minor topographic irregularities of floors.
They tend (in my experience) to be better at restricting passage of insects
than of rodents. I’ve seen too many rodents simply part the bristles or just
chew through them.

If you have rodent issues, consider an Xcluder sweep or an automatic drop down
door bottom. But, those won’t work so well on an irregular floor.

So, the best strategy is to fix the floor. That’s actually not so challenging
in many circumstances. Bring in a flooring contractor with such experience and
ask them to provide options and costs. I’ve seen an inexpensive application of
a leveling compound, applied expertly, work wonders.

Good luck. I’d be happy to chat more off-line if that would help.

-Rich

Richard J. Pollack, PhD
HARVARD UNIVERSITY
Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S)
Senior Environmental Public Health Officer
46 Blackstone St.
Cambridge, MA 02139
Office: 617-495-2995  Cell: 617-447-0763
www.ehs.harvard.edu
richard_poll...@harvard.edu<mailto:richard_poll...@harvard.edu>

Subscribe to the Harvard EH&S COVID-19 literature review: