Am 17.05.2014 um 11:30 schrieb Hilaire Fernandes <hilaire.fernan...@gmail.com>:

> Le 16/05/2014 20:18, p...@highoctane.be a écrit :
>>
>> Back to the future after 30 years of spinning your wheels
>>
>> Wanting to code at the speed of tought?
>> Wishing the machine was your friend and not a roadblock?
>> Want to burn cash as slow as possible while maximizing your output?
>>
>> If so, get a copy of Pharo! It is not your (grand) daddy's Smalltalk!
>
> That's why I understand this argument about not advertising Smalltalk in
> Pharo.
>
> Whatever we do or say, this huge mass of followers, once they heard
> Smalltalk they fill their head with red light warning, Smalltalk =
> old/deprecated/obsolete.
>
> For Pharo willing to socially scale = need to take this in consideration.

You could also argue the other way around:
Without being a Smalltalk Pharo is nothing. New languages come and go.
Nowadays almost everybody feels competent enough to create his own language.
Most of them start enthusiastic and will be abandoned after some time.
Sourceforge has so many dead examples.

Smalltalk has a tradition we should be proud of. I am not reluctant to tell
people about Smalltalk and its advantages (and disadvantages).

In my experience there are two three kinds of developers:
1. those who know one or a few languages and are happy with it
2. those who know one or a few languages and permanently seek for a better one
that is a direct relative.
    (Many C# and Java developers are looking for better C#’s and Java’s. That
makes it easy to sell them new versions of it.)
3. those who know some languages and want to learn more; always seeking for a
wow-effect; open-minded;
  know about different paradigms and want to learn about it.

The third is the smallest group I guess.
You have a hard time to convince anybody from 1 or 2 however you are marketing
Pharo…

Andreas