Hi! Hola!

I would like to help with some of this, so I sorted a bit the ideas in the previous emails to see if we can extract some concrete actions to apply. So I'll make a step back and put some titles to the topics of discussion:

!Human/Social/Politics stuff

1) Policies
  - Deciding about what goes inside
  - And what does not
    - e.g., what is the official IDE? What is a valid issue?
  - And what is necessary or useful for the community

Well, on the one hand Esteban and Steph answered to this already I think. At least about how this works in reality. I have however two remarks on this:

- First, I think that all accepted issues should be aligned with Pharo's vision. And this means first that this vision must be well documented and updated. Second, it means that people should know and read that vision document (and not get mad if ). But also, this "alignment" is kind of subjective: there is somebody that decides if this happens or not. And this happens to be the board who does it...

- Second, I do not really care what the heck is the process to decide this. But I believe that documenting it is nothing but a good move. (And this is related to the PEPs Hernan named and I talk about below...)

2) Discussion around the same topics for months
- can we have some examples about these? From the top of my head I can think about
     * <example>
     * Logging
     * ?

Well, I see also sometimes that we have long-running discussions that go nowhere... But:

- First, I take them as people is learning. In Pharo-dev people discuss sometimes about things they are not sure of or maybe they want to share and change. And maybe they are discussing to explore new ideas. So, please do not ban these discussions, I thing that we have to encourage them. Also, the traffic in Pharo-dev is so high that if something is not interesting to us, we have to either learn to filter that out, or follow other lower-traffic options such as pharo-users or pharo's new newsletter.

- Second, please, if you feel that you have something to propose, drop it in the mailing list! But as you make it public, do not expect that everybody will agree :). Also, as you have noticed, many people in this list have really strong opinions, so we have to understand and continue pushing.

3) PEPs (Pharo Enhancement Proposals?)

Well, this is an interesting idea. I think it is important to document well
 - the integration process
 - the decision process
 - the release process
- the proposal process (which BTW I really, since to propose some enhancement you need to really describe and design it and not just say "mine is cooler!") - Coding idioms and styles (maybe we can autogenerate this from lint rules???? Invoking Yuriy here!!)

A question I would pose is
 - where should this be? a wiki somewhere? some part inside the pharo site?

!Technical stuff, about Big images, modularization, removing tests

Hernan, I am really interested in your use case where having the image tests is really bothering. We are working on modularizing it, yes, but we also believe the default environment should contain tests to guarantee some quality => otherwise, breaking the system would be far much easier! But if you are interested in modular images just drop me (and Christophe, and Pavel) an email and we can see how we can collaborate.

And also, Hernan, what would you collaborate with? Because in your email I had the impression that you "expect" something from people: to accept your issues, to fix your issues, to communicate with you, but it's fuzzy what you're doing also to make that happen. This is maybe just an email miscommunication, just take this as a proposal to really move your ideas forward (with your help, of course).

Guille