Well IPython is not near to Pharo in terms of flexibility and live
coding, and I have been a user of it. For example, recently we made a
whole book 13 Mb PDF book in a single Grafoscopio file of just ~600k,
with a pretty good layout and final design (more details in other recent
thread and in [1]). JupyterLab[2] is going in the direction of becoming
a more complete IDE, but there are still a lot of stuff that is better
done in Pharo, like unit testing, that in JupyterLab. In fact Brian
Granger has told that the "I" is for interactive, not for integrated
[3]. Of course, after over a decade of hard work and several millions of
dollars, Jupyter is doing pretty well on the interactive notebooks
front, but Pharo's edge in live coding and moldability, plus a superb
small, agile and friendly community allowed a beginner to prototype
valuable propositions about reproducible research and computer
storytelling, without such background.

[1] http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/mapeda/
[2] http://jupyterlab.github.io/
[3] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejh0ftSjk6g

So, I have experienced live coding in IPython/Jupyter and
Pharo/Grafoscopio and still I think that Pharo has value proposals hard
to find on any behemoths. Live coding there is getting good, but Pharo
is even better, and that plus moldability make Pharo unbeatable, when
you're changing/exploring a running system.

Cheers,

Offray