From: Lars B. Jensen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 15 November 2001 12:19
To: matt stewart
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [PHP-DB] Why use MySQL with PHP

Stored procedures is missing in mySQL correct but is scheduled with the
exiting launch of the mySQL 4 family. mySQL has it's drawbacks, but main
force is it's performance, for certain tasks also with quite large datasets
(few million rows) I had mySQL outperform major players as Microsoft SQL
Server 7 and Oracle8i. I sadly never had my hands on PostgreSQL yet.

Again, it all comes down to make the optimal site for the job, not the
hardest technological. To revert a saying, why jump the fence where it is
the highest ? (thereby not saying we gotta jump where it is lowest, but
where it is appropriate to the task).

So, with experience and knowledge from major sites running daily thousands
of sessions and millions of pageviews I know mySQL is capable of the trick,
and with the mySQL 4 coming out, I for one is awaiting it with anticipation.
Especially the "stored procedures" which totally would eliminate my need for
Microsoft SQL Server.

/ Lars

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.