On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Maxim Maletsky wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:21:06 -0500 Sterling Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Educate users to speak the base amount of english required, I18N'ing the
> > language is just going to lead to headaches from a user perspective
> > (incorrect translations, slower performance, translations for english speakers)
> > and a developer perspective (having to lookup tokens, understanding another
> > language, getting bug reports with horrible error messages).
>
> That is why we have error codes :)
>
> Are you saying that Oracle is wrong giving the ability to localize even
> SQL error messages? These does not have to ever happen, but in my
> Italian team the guys are simply rocking - they find out instantly what
> they did wrong to a query because it is in their language.
>
> Sets the language to what you speak and you will develop faster wherever
> you're coming from.

I don't agree with that, I had no idea what a 'afrolmenu' was when I got
a weird error message in Word; after all it just seemed to be a dropdown
box.

> As of bug reports - as long as every error has its own error code
> everyone in the world can find out what the error means. How different
> is that from simply translating the documentation?

Did you think on how to manage all those error codes in internal
(php4/ext) extensions, external (pear/pecl) and third party extensions?
It would be a hell to maintain it all; it's just not practical.

Derick