On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:51:01PM +0100, Marcus Brger wrote:

> >    There is nothing funny about that statement.  For example, if
> >    you are not going to do the work on merging the CLI/CGI code,
> >    just saying that you would like to see that happening has
> >    little to no effect.  Conclusively, there is simply too
> >    much noise on the php-dev list by people who are not going to
> >    do any work, but somehow think they are entitled to actually
> >    waste other people's time with their opinions.
> >
> >    - Sascha
>
> Ok, now your thoughts become clear and indeed make much sense. But
> how do we separate the noise from thoughts that metter and should be
> heared before doing any modification. Shall we hear them only when
> the initial mail is marked as RFC?

No, but attaching a patch definitely helps.

I mostly agree with Sascha and Zeev.  One of the downsides to PHP's
"anyone can be a developer (of PHP)" philosophy is that there are a
large number of people with commit bits that can (legitimately?) drop
themselves into any discussion with some notion of authority, even if
they have never touched the part of the code that's being discussed
(such as the CGI / CLI debate).

In other large projects (FreeBSD, for example), when someone proposes
a modification to something like the VM system, it seldom results in a
long, drawn-out conversation involving dozens of people.  Only the
developers who understand that part of the system contribute.

--
Jon Parise ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) :: The PHP Project (http://www.php.net/)