"Curt Zirzow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> * Thus wrote Rob Adams ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> > I will test it, because it seems I don't understand this issue as much
as I
> > could.  But I can already tell you results I see right now:
> >
> > I open a web browser (IE) and login to my application.  I open another
> > window (IE) and goto the web application, and it asks me to login.  This
is
> > all on the same computer.  (As I've explained all this before.)  Now,
> > perhaps I don't know what I'm talking about, and this is a different
issue.
> > If so, I'm pretty sure you'll certainly try to set me straight.  If not,
> > then it certainly seems relevant to the discussion, and that my one
client
> > (IE) is sending two different requests from two different windows on the
> > same computer.
>
> This is entirely up to the client, deciding to send a cookie or not
> when opening a new browser window.  You can even turn the behaviour,
> you describe, off in IE.
>
> The problem is the php script doesn't know that the browser you
> opened (that give you back the login screen) is even related to the
> other browser window.  All the php script knows is that you simply
> don't have a cookie.

That has been my point all along.  Perhaps I misunderstood you:

"there is no way for a remote Web server to distinguish between two
instances of the
same browser running on the client machine."
vs.
"The problem is the php script doesn't know that the browser you
 opened (that give you back the login screen) is even related to the
 other browser window."

Aren't these almost exactly opposite statements?
Isn't the web server distinguishing between the two instances?   Using the
cookie?

  -- Rob