On Sun, 1 Apr 2012, John Meissen wrote:

> The TC/IP routing software is going to use what it finds in the routing
> table. If the destination doesn't match a specific network in the table,
> it will look for a default route.

John,

   Doesn't the TC/IP software look at the RUNNING interface? In the case of
the Sony, the routing table has a default gateway for wlan0.

> If, for some reason, it decides to prefer the eth0 route, that's where it's
> going to send the packet. When it gets to the physical layer it will find out
> it can't actually send it, and the transmission will fail.

   This raises the question of why it would pick the non-running eth0 when
there's a default gateway for the wlan0. And, shouldn't the OS turn off the
eth0 routes when the system boots without an ethernet cable attached?

   Tomorrow I'll trek again to the local coffee shop and bring my Dell along,
too. I'll see what the routing table shows for that. Or, I'll set up my
local WAP (which I set unsecured) and test things here.

   As far as I can tell, both the Dell and Sony have networking configured
the same way.

Thanks,

Rich