On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 13:56:37 -0600
Brandon Gillespie <bran...@cold.org> wrote:

> I'm not familiar with the AP AC LITE, it sounds like it might be in
> their enterprise line.

It's in their "UniFi line, whatever that means.

> If you are doing it for home, I really urge the AmpliFI HD.  It's a
> small cube and two edge mesh WAPs. Installation is mostly turn-key.

I'm not in the market for a $300+ AP. I don't need the coverage.

> As for support--that is the key achilles of Ubiquity's approach.
> They made a conscious business decision to build with enterprise
> grade hardware, but sell it at consumer grade pricing, and to meet
> that they decided to remove the heavy/costly support organization.
> The net effect of this is two fold:
>
>  1. Support is really just through public forums (meh)

They appear to have some decent articles in their knowledge base.

But their access to support is not encouraging.

>  2. They've worked on making their solutions as turn-key as possible
>     (positive)

Well, they are flubbing that one with me. Aside from the problem I hit,
how much setup do you have to do for mongodb? I have administered
MySQL, PGSQL, Microsoft's SQL product, and SQLite. Do I really want to
learn another DB just for one lousy access point?

And I do not like software that gives you no choice in databases. If
they really want to be turnkey and user friendly, they should go with
SQLlite, and have an option to upgrade to something heavier for those
who need it.

We will see whether I return it in a few days.

--
"When we talk of civilization, we are too apt to limit the meaning of
the word to its mere embellishments, such as arts and sciences; but