In the end, I decided to delete the LMS installation I had on my NAS,
which was the *NAStools* app for ReadyNAS version *7.9.0.b7dfc80-nt1*
and re-install but upgrade to version *7.9.3 - 1591161343* instead.

Then restore all my TrackStat data from the backup file.

I am now back to where I was but I am still keen to find out why my
amendment to the playCount values for the tracks on a single release
seemed to bork my entire LMS operation since that seemed to be the
easiest and quickest way restoring playCount values for tracks where I
have had to amend the filename and / or filepath.

In addition, this version of LMS installs to a different location that
the previous one and whilst I can see the files when I SSH into the NAS
as root, I can't seem to do that using my file manager (Finder), which
would be quicker and more useful ultimately for me.