afriend wrote:
> I have good & bad news. The good news is that testing showed that the
> revised CustomSkip version 2.5.85 works as expected. The bad news is
> that I don't know why it doesn't work for you.
> I've created a dynamic playlist with SQLPlayList ('-Random playlist
> songs - Random songs from a saved playlist-'), then created a filter set
> ('-Test-') that skip songs with years equal to or greater than the
> selected year. And it works.
>
> To help you find the cause maybe some information on how CustomSkip
> works might be useful:
>
> In CS you can choose 1 *active* filter (set) for each client (let's call
> it *primary* filter). If global skipping is enabled (as it should be) it
> will -always- filter unwanted tracks. I do that for tracks < 90 seconds
> and tracks with 'never' in comment tag.
>
> When you choose a CustomSkip filter (set) in -SQLPlayList-, it's a
> *secondary* filter. It's enabled when a dynamic playlist is started and
> disabled when the dynamic playlist is stopped.
>
> A dynamic playlist is also stopped when DPL can't find any more tracks
> to add (matching your search criteria) meaning it will disable the
> secondary filter this very moment (I haven't changed that) because DPL
> has stopped and is not involved any longer. Therefore no more secondary
> filtering even if the current client playlist still has some remaining
> tracks to play. And if those remaining tracks include tracks that should
> be filtered by the secondary filter, they won't be because DPL has
> disabled the secondary filter before exiting.
>
> You can verify if a dynamic playlist is active if you check "Show name
> of active playlist in main menu" in DPL settings and then enter the DPL
> menu from the home menu. If a dynamic playlist is active it will show
> its name on top. But it's -not dynamically updated-, you need to reenter
> this menu to verify again after a song change. It wasn't designed for
> debugging.
>
> If the criteria for your static saved playlists return too few matches
> too soon then secondary filtering will not work great for you I guess.
> If you don't want to deal with SQLite and custom dynamic playlists maybe
> use constant filtering (primary filter) instead. I've attached a
> screenshot of my test setup so you can recreate it.
>
> BTW please note that I've pulled DPLv3+ from the LMS main repo. If you
> want to keep using it please follow the instructions on the github page
> (adding repo url).
> Good news: you can now easily switch back to DPLv2 and CustomSkip 2.5.83
> if you want to.
> I'm really sorry but that's really all I can do now in my limited time.
>
> 35985

Thanks once again for your patient explanation. After more
experimentation, it is clear that the filter only works if it is applied
to all playlists. I know you are done with this and completely respect
that.

I'm going to put this out there in the hope that someone else decides to
tinker with CustomSkip and fix this one remaining issue. In order to
frame why this an issue (at least for me), I'll offer up an example. If
the setting for CustomSkip is to apply to ALL playlists, it applies to
EVERYTHING, including just playing an entire album. So my example is if
I want to play The Beatles "White Album," i actually do want it to
include "Revolution #9." But I have that song in my Skip list so that it
never plays in a random playlist. So, right now I have to make a choice
between those two outcomes. In the old version, CustomSkip could be set
to only apply to lists played through Dynamic Playlists.

I know I have the option of going back to the old versions of both
plugins, but I love the new functionality in afriend's updated DPL.

Wondering out loud if anyone else out there has this issue, and if
someone would be willing to help solve it.

Thanks for hearing me out.