nyindieguy wrote:
> Thanks for this. I guess some of this is over my head as I really don't
> understand the relationship between DPL and SQL Playlist.
Just think of DPL as some kind of random play with lots of options for
fine-tuning the selection of the tracks you want to listen to.
DPL uses sql queries to fetch tracks. Before DPL v3 the -source- of
these sql queries had to be other plugins like SQLPlayList, TrackStat,
or CustomScan. DPL asks these plugins if they want to provide any sql
queries (=dynamic playlists) and if so, DPL will list them.
With DPL v3 I've added 2 new options: -built-in- dynamic playlists and
the option to create your own -custom- dynamic playlists and use them
directly in DPLv3, without relying on other plugins.
For dynamic playlists think of SQLPlayList as a sql query generator with
a user interface. It takes your playlist parameter choices and creates a
sql query file (either sql.xml or as a xml template). It assists you in
creating sql queries.
Since DPL and SQLPlayList use the same sql query format you could easily
export most of your SQLPlayLists as customized sql query files and uses
them in DPL directly. That's probably good to bear in mind if
SQLPlayList should ever stop working properly.

So when I talk about using custom dynamic playlists I usually mean
creating custom sql query files and putting them in the DPL custom
playlist folder. It's a very powerful option because you can create
exactly the kind of dynamic playlist you want. And it probably sounds
more difficult than it actually is.

nyindieguy wrote:
> I believe that you said in a prior post that if I set Custom Skip to
> work on all playlists, that would solve the issue. If so, I think that
> would be OK for my purposes, even though all my static playlists
> wouldn't really need it.
It seems that CustomSkip does not properly skip songs in dynamic
playlists because there's a block of code in CustomSkip that prevents
that. I've uploaded a slighly revised version of CustomSkip to
'*github*' (https://github.com/AF-1/lms-customskip) that should fix
this.

In your case you would certainly benefit from a custom dynamic playlist
tailored to your specific needs. Below is custom dynamic playlist based
on your screenshot. Open your text editor, copy&paste the sql code below
and save it as "nameofyourchoice*.sql.xml*". The file extension
*.sql.xml* is important. Now put this file into the -DPL custom playlist
folder- (should be in your playlist folder if you haven't changed the
location).

Code:
--------------------

  -- PlaylistName:Random songs from collection - ignore songs in selected
playlist
  -- PlaylistParameter1:playlist:Select playlist to ignore:
  select distinct tracks.url from tracks
        left join dynamicplaylist_history on
                dynamicplaylist_history.id=tracks.id and
dynamicplaylist_history.client='PlaylistPlayer'
        where
                tracks.audio = 1
                and tracks.secs >= 'PlaylistTrackMinDuration'
                and dynamicplaylist_history.id is null
                and not exists (select * from tracks t2,playlist_track
                                                where
                                                        t2.url=tracks.url and
                                                        tracks.url =
playlist_track.track and
                                                        playlist_track.playlist
!= 'PlaylistParameter1')
                and not exists (select * from tracks t3,genre_track,genres
                                                where
                                                        t3.id=tracks.id and

tracks.id=genre_track.track and

genre_track.genre=genres.id and
                                                        genres.name in
('Alternate
Version','Avantgarde','Baseball','Broadway','Christmas','Comedy','Country','Electronic','Ethnic','Hip
 Hop','Jazz','Jazz-Fusion','Live','Novelty','Raga','Soundtrack','Spoken
Word','Standards','Unreleased Rarity'))
        group by tracks.url
        order by random()
        limit 'PlaylistLimit';

--------------------

This new playlist should now appear in the not-classified group. Adapt
it to your needs (name, excluded genre list).

nyindieguy wrote:
> What I'm finding confusing is that if I go into your version of DPL and
> create a new list by selecting the parameters and then I save it as a
> favorite, it creates a new SQL file. Then I have to go into SQLPLayist
> and refresh. Once I do that, the new playlist appears within DPL and
> seems to work.
I'm not sure I understand. Same as in v2 you can't -create- new dynamic
playlists in DPL with the user interface. The only way you can add new
dynamic playlists to DPL (as explained in the beginning) is by adding
sql query files to the DPL custom playlist folder or in other plugins
like SQLPlayLists.
I don't know how "adding to favorites" plays into this. But please note
that you can only add dynamic playlists to LMS favorites that don't
request further user input. Same as in v2, that hasn't changed.