I realize now I've been coming at this from entirely the wrong
direction. I think pippin understood what to do right away - have an
iPhone / iPod Touch app which creates a SqueezeCentre compatible stream
and is able to recognise network commands for pushing libray data and
control data and do this all over the local wifi network.

My understanding is that iPhone OS v3.0 is needed as Apple have allowed
for 3rd party access to the iTunes library and also some form of
streaming API, which would seem to suit this capability.

So to summerize, the friend/wife simply connects to the local wifi
network, loads the app (whether its another app or functionality built
into iPeng?!) and the device and its iTunes libary appears within
SqueezeCentre ready for control. This would be very cool. Have not use
iTunes DJ yet, but I guess its similar only a million times better :-)

--
mwjburton