This is the kind of thing that will leave tufts of your hair lying in
small drifts on the floor.

If you unplug the machine from the network, do you still see the same
behavior?  If not, then you should double-check your power management
settings for the network device.  If those settings seem to be in order
(wake on magic packet only) then perhaps another network device in the
house (a SBTouch?) is trying to WOL your machine.  Try de-powering all
the other network devices in the house one by one and see if that does
it.

If the problem persists even when the machine is unplugged from the
network, then about all that I can recommend at this point is to:

- Check and kill unnecessary tasks using procexp.exe.
- Check the system power management settings.
- Check the system task scheduler.
- Check BIOS power management settings.

..or, do what I did: scrape your machine clean and reinstall your OS.
That's extreme, but a 1/2 measure would be to boot from another OS (e.g.
a linux live cd) and see if suspend and hibernation there enable the
machine "stay down".

You aren't alone with this problem. Others report this too, completely
independently of SCPowerTool.exe:

http://www.suggestafix.com/index.php?showtopic=17842
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=611142
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Computer-won-t-stay-stand-by-hibernate-t243051.html