>This is the kind of thing that will leave tufts of your hair lying in
>small drifts on the floor.

It was/is driving me nuts!

I had tried all sorts of things; I'd unplugged network cable, etc.

However, it turned out to be something to do with a BIOS setting to wake up
computer via keyboard.  This was set to "Any Key" - this appears to cause it to
immediately wake up without pressing anything.  I wondered if I had a sticky
key, but can't see anything obviously wrong with it.  I tried changing the BIOS
setting to 98 keyboard, but that immediately wakes too (not sure what that
option really means).

It's a USB Keyboard, but also connected with standard PS2 cable.  It only seems
to wake up if the standard PS2 cable is connected - in USB-only mode, there's
no wakeup.  I changed it to require hotkey Ctrl+F1, and that works.

Curiously, in suspend mode, any key press seems to wake server, even with
USB-only connection, and with "Wake on Keypress" set to Hotkey Ctrl+F1.

Similarly, Wake on Mouse is set to "Click", but this doesn't wake up server
from S3(STR) Hibernation, but it does in S1 mode.

I think it's something to do with USB not performing wake from power off mode
(USB Hub device has an unticked greyed out "Allow this device to bring the
computer out of standby").  I've tried all sorts of BIOS setting changes, even
a registry patch, but can't get USB mouse or USB-only keyboard to wake from S3.

I thought there was more of a difference in power-saving between S1 and S3
modes, but having googled the topic a bit the last few days, hibernation only
seems to save 1-2W (by allowing RAM refresh to power off).