As I said before I cannot test these services as they are not available
to me.

Softsqueeze is not my code - I just do some basic maintenance on it to
keep it ticking over until SqueezePlay is ready (which is taking longer
than expected).

Changing Softsqueeze to add some additional status would probably
require changes in SBS which I cannot do so it is unlikely. Spoftsqueeze
is a strange beast, within SBS it is subclassed of a Transporter model
as it was  used to test new products graphics but its audio/network is
not quite an SB2 so it has a minimal implementation of the slimproto
protocol especially since changes in 7.3.

Your best bet would be to isolate the problem. I think you need to
record sessions (probably on both sides of local SBS) using something
like wireshark (was Ethereal). Note time when recording started and the
time when the problem occur - examine the recording forensically at the
problem timepoint and go backwards. I've done this a number of times
tracking rare protocol events which required recordings of many hours -
it is tedious but that is what it will require.

>From your description, I think the problem could be associated with a
TCP reset which is used to clear half-open TCP connection but often
still ends with a half open connection but stuck.   Applications need to
look for the ECONNRESET error but often with "don't block on read" on a
TCP socket - the Reset error code is overlooked as code assumes there is
no data to read.  I think there could be issues handling ECONNRESET in a
proxy configuration (e.g. should a RESET be propagated or absorbed or
link closed by the proxy).

To get started, I suggest looking at the Reset count in the TCP
connection statistics (e.g. netstat -s) on both sides of the SBS and
from both ends (i.e. monitor 4 sets of counts).  The Reset count usually
only increment at beginning and end of connections. See if Reset count
is increment around the time you have a "hiccough" in your audio.

--
bpa