Well, not a big fan of Apple products overall, but I must say,
Squeezebox is a product I want to "just work" ... and I haven't been
given that impression so far.

These sorts of products aren't going to go big-time, for most people,
running a server is too much effort to achieve the effect. So, they
will be niche products catering to audio enthusiasts like ourselves.

I agree, on paper, nothing sounds quite like a SB Touch. Elegant
interface, all the right inputs/outputs, all the right codecs, 24/96
support, etc. etc. Easy to get multiple rooms of audio playing.

However, in the real world, if the interface is too simple to handle a
complex library (mixed classical [where composer matters most, but
artist is distinct and has value] and non-classical [where artist
matters most, and composer not at all]), that's a little lacking.

If I turn on my SB Radio while the SB Touch is playing and they go into
an endless stutter/rebuffer/out-of-sync fit, that's a little lacking.

If I try to play a 24/96 FLAC file and it rebuffers every 5 seconds,
despite a strong wireless connection, that's a little lacking.

I suspect Sonos doesn't have these issues, not AirTunes. Now, Sonos
can't handle 24/96 and is expensive. Apple requires iTunes and can't
handle FLAC. So, nothing's perfect, but ...

OK, rant completed. But seriously, Logitech bought slimdevices and
there's only 5 developers? I wish I were better at software (only
dabble) so I could help.

--
antagron