antagron;606189 Wrote:

> Any idea when 7.6 will get out of beta? this year?

No idea, my guess is during 2011, I hope for first half but I haven't
seen any official indication that this is the plan. I would be
surprised if it was released in February or Mars, I suspect we
shouldn't expect anything before we get closer to the summer.

antagron;606193 Wrote:
> I think I'd get a full on server computer or Vortex box type set up
> before trying to upgrade the NAS. These machines pull about the same
> amount of power as a NAS, but have a lot more CPU oomph.

Good choice, the only reason to use a NAS is if you have extremely high
storage requirements. People that buy a NAS need to realize that they
pay for professional storage facilities they probably don't need and
they still only get a half decent CPU and way to little memory.

I've tried my plugins on a Sheevaplug for $99 and it works fairly good,
but it's still a lot slower than a decent several years old computer.
The Sheevaplug has 512MB memory and this is important if you need to
use my plugins, the memory is often the limitation on NAS boxes.
However, the Sheevaplug is still a bit limited if you expect high
performance, a Vortexbox appliance is probably better or as an
alternative just an old laptop with the free Vortexbox software
installed.

antagron;606193 Wrote:

> I'm still lobbying for them to build some of this functionality in
> natively!

Unfortunately, music discovery has never been a priority for neither
Slim Devices nor Logitech, I've personally realized that if I want
enhanced music discovery I need to do it myself.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))