antagron;606223 Wrote:

> These sorts of products aren't going to go big-time, for most people,
> running a server is too much effort to achieve the effect. So, they
> will be niche products catering to audio enthusiasts like ourselves.

Unless you don't need a server, which is what online music is all
about. The masses don't care about audio quality, for most normal
people a 128kbps MP3 sounds great and the 320kbps online Spotify stream
even better.

Online music isn't for everyone, but if they want to increase their
customer base I agree that it's the area with biggest potential to do
so.

antagron;606223 Wrote:

> However, in the real world, if the interface is too simple to handle a
> complex library (mixed classical [where composer matters most, but
> artist is distinct and has value] and non-classical [where artist
> matters most, and composer not at all]), that's a little lacking.

Once again, is there any other hardware player that handles this better
?
I'm not saying that Squeezebox does a great job, I'm just saying that
so far I haven't seen any other hardware player that does it better.

antagron;606223 Wrote:

> If I turn on my SB Radio while the SB Touch is playing and they go into
> an endless stutter/rebuffer/out-of-sync fit, that's a little lacking.
>
> If I try to play a 24/96 FLAC file and it rebuffers every 5 seconds,
> despite a strong wireless connection, that's a little lacking.

Sounds like network or server problem, I don't see anything similar in
my setup.

antagron;606223 Wrote:

> I suspect Sonos doesn't have these issues, not AirTunes. Now, Sonos
> can't handle 24/96 and is expensive. Apple requires iTunes and can't
> handle FLAC. So, nothing's perfect, but ...

If you just want something that works, Sonos or Apple is probably a
better solution. But if you want flexibility, which it sounds like,
then I'm afraid Squeezebox is state of the art among the hardware
players at the moment. Especially if you take all the third party
plugins into account.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))