sfraser;614687 Wrote:
> Thanks I will give that a try. Quick question, when you say completely
> disable the Gnome power manager, you set it to "do nothing" during idle
> periods? That is the way it is currently setup.
That's one way.

The other way is to configure ubuntu so that the X server and Gnome GUI
don't start by default.  That way, you have a headless server not
burdened by the overhead of having a useless GUI running.

But with Ubuntu Desktop, that's not for the faint-of-heart.  I've had
much better luck configuring Fedora to start in text mode.  My efforts
in Ubuntu haven't yet yielded very good results.  So..I'd stick with
plan A.

But if you're curious, see:

http://andrew.org/index.php/archives/2010/05/07/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx-boot-in-text-mode/

--