shawje;615980 Wrote:
> Gordon
>
> I have been using ReallyPrevntStandby on my MacMini for a few weeks now
> and it seems to work very well, with no issues.  I previously used
> Server Power Ctrl to call on Jiggler but it was a bit clunky.
>
> My only niggle now is Wake On Lan.  I had intermittent success using
> wake on wireless lan for the MacMini when it was connected to my router
> wirelessly.   I have now plugged the MacMini into an old Linksys
> wireless router that I have flashed with DD-WRT and am using as a
> wireless repeater bridge to extend the range of my main wireless
> router.  This makes the WOLan feature of the squeezebox problematic,
> because, I think, the MacMini is seen by network as having the MAC
> address of the Linksys repeater bridge it is plugged into, and its true
> MAC address is not visible across the network.  Hence, I presume, the SB
> sends WOLan packets with the wrong MAC address attached.
>
> There is a workaround that does OK for me.  I use a free Iphone App,
> NetAwake to manually wake the MacMini, having previously saved its
> correct MAC address, but it means that my SB can't for example wake the
> server for an alarm call first thing in the morning.
>
> Anyway, thanks for the plugins, they work very well  And if anyone out
> there has any suggestions for getting SB WOLan to work across a
> wireless repeater bridge, please let me know.I have to admit that I don't
> have any experience with wireless bridges
so I'm unclear if broadcast packets hop across the "gap" or not.

But what kind of a SqueezeBox are you using?  As far as I know, the
older, IP3K based SBs essentially just remember a single MAC address
for WOL.  If you're using one of these older SqueezeBoxes, you could
try performing a factory reset and then setting it up again connected
via wire to one of the ports on the wireless bridge.  I'm thinking that
that way the "real" mac address of the mac mini will get saved to the
"whom-to-WOL" slot in player.  And hopefully that slot will survive
changing the network setting back to wireless (which you'll have to do
without doing a factory reset, of course.)

Worth a shot, anyway.

The other alternative is iPeng.  You can "hard-code" the mac-mini's MAC
in iPeng and it should be able to WOL it.  I mean, if NetWake can do it,
iPeng should be able to do it too.  Even putting the WOL feature aside,
iPeng is well worth the $10, IMHO.

--
gharris999