I have been listening the to the BBC HLS streams for a few days direct
on my PC using VLC and they are a little bit intermittent if I'm honest.
It seems that the individual "chunks" sometimes get mixed up so I hear
gaps, and sometimes a few seconds of radio from the past out of order.
It corrects itself quickly but something is not right.

I do not know if this is a problem with the stream, or a problem with
VLC. Given that ffmpeg and VLC are built on the same library I fear we
will suffer this too when listening via a squeezebox whoever is to
blame. I'd be interested to know if others hear this too.