On Thursday, January 24, 2002, at 09:29 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 04:11:28PM -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> I made a hint on the POE::Component list on the wiki that I am working
>> on the P::C::S::I module, but I forgot to check the list to see if
>> anyone else is working on it.
>>
>> Let me know if you are, otherwise I'm gonna continue writing it.

I wanted to pop into this conversation briefly... I wrote a napster
server using POE and a module I called POE::Filter::LittleEndian (before
I had really tinkered with PoCo::IRC). I believe most of that code is
available on http://envy.posixnap.net/~alex/perlcode/, but I could be
mistaken (theres some odd proxy/firewall issue with that site)...
Unfortunately it really was only able to handle about 250 connections
before it became so slow as to become useless. The machine in question
was able to run OpenNap (the C alternative) at greater than 3300 users
(where it eventually filled up 512mb of ram, not the cpu).

So while I admire the project (and I've thought of writing an IRC server
myself, as I like bahamut but dislike not being able to hack on it), I'd
like to inject a little caution ... useful as Services, probably. Not
particularly useful as a drop-in for an ircd however. This strikes me as
unfortunate.

I'd love to contribute if I can however.

Alex