On Thursday, January 24, 2002, at 11:52 AM, Rocco Caputo wrote:

> perlserver.pl is 403 forbidden.  Have you tried increasing the SysRW

Oops, sorry, that machine was recently upgraded and im afraid a complete
mirror of its previous configuration was not accomplished.

http://envy.posixnap.net/~alex/perlcode/perlserver/perlserver.pl.txt

is the code for the server, and its now available. I could *swear* I
previously sent this code to the list, but it was in that transitory
period between two servers, so it may have never gotten out at all. so
the modules necessary for the server are there as well as the server
itself. it was mostly just a proof of concept. i got discouraged when it
became slow and just chalked it up to perl not being able to handle it.
If there's something I'm doing thats deliberately obtuse, let me know
and I'll dig right in again.

> It's possible to write POE servers at three levels.  Each successively
> higher level trades away some control and performance for convenience.

To be honest, I havent really gone over the POE documentation
extensively, and the napster server was my first project. I saw
PoCo::FTP and decided I wanted to hack on that, but havent had time to
make it useful.

>> I'd love to contribute if I can however.
>
> Publishing your Napster code would help.  There are lots of options if
> you want a more direct hand in POE's development...

I am a POE zealot already. It is far superior to any of the other
network interfaces (yes I am aware that POE is not a network interface,
but thats what it means to me) that perl has. Ive used PoCo::IRC, of
course wrote the LittleEndian filter, and the napster server. I am very
impressed with it and want to contribute however I can. I suspect
finishing off PoCo::FTP would be useful to the project, but I'd have to
reach sungo to do that I suspect. Is sungo on list?

> On a more higher level, there are a lot of half-baked ideas on POE's
> web site.  Implementing one of them, or even just commenting on them,
> would be a big help.  It's a lot of stuff to think about, and it would

Okay, I'll have a looksee. Two things on my list of "code that needs to
be written":

A. Streaming server for MP3/Ogg data
B. PoCo::FTP (you have no idea how much I despise Net::FTP)
C. (waaay down on the priority list) The Napster server. I'd like to
talk to LDS about this as well, he wrote a napster server using
IO::Socket, as well as a client module (MP3::Napster), which might be
better off being POE.

Oh, since I've forgotten to add this above...

A note about napster servers. They function almost exactly like IRC
servers. They are a chat medium, with an improvised sort of CTCP for
sharing files. The server itself shares no files.

> No help is too small.  Thanks!

Hey, I'm happy to contribute what I can. I really like POE and perl. :-)

alex