On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 11:12:42AM -0500, alex j avriette wrote:

> On Thursday, January 24, 2002, at 09:29 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 04:11:28PM -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >> I made a hint on the POE::Component list on the wiki that I am working
> >> on the P::C::S::I module, but I forgot to check the list to see if
> >> anyone else is working on it.
> >>
> >> Let me know if you are, otherwise I'm gonna continue writing it.
>
> I wanted to pop into this conversation briefly... I wrote a napster
> server using POE and a module I called POE::Filter::LittleEndian (before
> I had really tinkered with PoCo::IRC). I believe most of that code is
> available on http://envy.posixnap.net/~alex/perlcode/, but I could be
> mistaken (theres some odd proxy/firewall issue with that site)...
> Unfortunately it really was only able to handle about 250 connections
> before it became so slow as to become useless. The machine in question
> was able to run OpenNap (the C alternative) at greater than 3300 users
> (where it eventually filled up 512mb of ram, not the cpu).

Was there a specific bottleneck, or could you summarize the performance
problems? I haven't looked at the code yet. But is there something specific
that could be done or that stands out, apart from the fact that it's
c vs. perl as well ?

Did the napster server have to server files or just reply to queries ?
It might be useful to work on that a bit, because most POE applications do
not cause so much load. So it would be a good example to study how to
improve performance.

Torvald