On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 11:33:41PM -0500, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> Generally only folks who can commit to CVS should be asking "ok?"
>
> It signals to others that you are also an OpenBSD dev. One might think
> that doing this may get you quicker reivew attention, except it may also
> mean that you get an ok and your work never gets committed. Why? Because
> we'll assume you can do so yourself. We try not to "steal" other
> developer's commits. So you may get "ok" as an answer and no one will
> follow up on it.
>
> So it's not that I'm saying "you're not part of the club, don't use our
> secret handshake", it's more that by using the secret handshake you may
> end up hurting yourself. :)
>
> --Kurt (kmos@)

So what is the best way to ask for comments and then a commit from
someone?

I see several situations:

1. New Port (2 OK's)
2. Revised New Port in the thread (2 OK's)

3. Update to a Port (1 OK, right?)
4. Revised Update to a Port (1 OK, right?)

I've gotten tied up in working on something I would like to offer as a
new port I'm working on and coding. Also figuring out how to do
responsive CSS.

I also have another set of ports to get in for another project.

Apart from the above, I would really love some sort of template for
new/updated ports that are for bigger projects. An email template
stating what bigger project it is, what type of ports are for.

Maybe something like?

[NEW] Ports for Great Project, core depends, amd64 tested.
[NEW] Ports for Great Project, optional depends, arm64 tested
[NEW] Ports for Great Project, development depends, i386 tested
[UPDATE] Ports for Great Project, core depends, i386 tested
[NEW] Port of Great Project

Also, what is a "proper" timing for pinging?

In the Porter Handbook, I would really like to see some examples of
harder ports to bring in.
I see the same questions repeated over and over on the mailing lists.

I wouldn't mind spending that time myself, with a little pointing at
good, existing candidates to document.
"RTFPH and then ask questions" might save a lot of the work giving advice
by the porting pro's.

I would love to see fvwm3 brought in, since it's the latest. I use fvwm2
right now. But projects like that are a lot of work. Which I don't know
how to do.

--
Thanks,
Chris Bennett