Crystal Kolipe <kolip...@exoticsilicon.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 11:24:34AM -0700, Aaron Bieber wrote:
>>
>> Crystal Kolipe <kolip...@exoticsilicon.com> writes:

>> > So you want to enforce your "standard", I.E. GitHub, on everybody?
>> >
>> > If we're going to have a "standard", why not make it the lowest common
>> > denominator, so that people who are comfortable with creating their own
>> > tools can easily handle it the way they want to?  Which is, basically,
>> > the whole unix philosophy anyway.

>> > But the use of GitHub would become like a virus, in that it also affects
>> > people who don't want to use it.

>> > Go and read the Linux kernel archives from 20 years ago, and the flamewars
>> > over the use of BitKeeper to manage the kernel source.
>>
>> I don't even know how to respond to this. You are saying that GH usage
>> will infect people and then they will be forced to use it?
>
> Not really, no.
>
> I'm saying that once some people start using GitHub to automatically generate
> diffs and send them to this mailing list, then the next step will likely be
> that development starts moving off of the mailing list altogether, and only
> accessible via a tedious pointy-clicky webbrowser interface, rather than as
> free-format conversation on a mailing list, which has worked fine ever since
> the OpenBSD project first began.
>
>> That seems a bit far fetched to me. But maybe that's the mindvirus at
>> work!
>>
>> No idea what linux kernel archievs from 20 years ago have to do with any
>> of this.
>
> Well, you've really answered your own question there.

I mean contextually with the conversation around openbsd, cvs and a new
process. Obviously.

> Do you even know why git was created?  What came before it?

I feel like you are trying to undermine my credibility with this
statement. How much experience do you have committing things in OpenBSD
with cvs?

Here is my experience: http://www.oxide.org/cvs/abieber.html

Maybe we should change the topic to "On the subject of non-OpenBSD
developers opinions on the process of developing OpenBSD" :P