Crystal Kolipe <kolip...@exoticsilicon.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 11:42:08AM -0600, joshua stein wrote:
>> Maybe we can do something radical like enable GitHub pull requests
>> to let people submit changes against the ports repo on GitHub
>
> Cringe.
>
> I sincerely hope that this doesn't happen.
>
> Just look at the typical quality of the projects hosted on GitHub, and
> you'll see how relying on a set of third-party managed tools to do your
> work instead of taking the time to learn the basic tools, (tar, diff,
> an email program, etc), yourself can lead to laziness and poor quality.
>
> If people can't be bothered to do things themselves or make their own
> tools to automate a process, how dedicated are they likely to be?
>
>> I believe that the GitHub repo can be configured to also email
>> ports@openbsd.org on any submissions/comments there, so the mailing
>> list would still be in the loop on everything for anyone that
>> doesn't want to use GitHub.
>
> So the mailing list is going to be flooded with automated mails from
> GitHub, that become tedious, leading people to just skim over them
> or OK them without really reviewing the content.
>
> Honestly, I think we all want to keep the quality of the ports tree
> as high as possible, and if learing to use tar and diff as a barrier to
> entry for some people is doing that, I suggest we continue as we are.

"Knowing" the tools isn't the problem. jcs@ knows how to use tar. I know
how to use tar. The problem is that people send things totally
differently and there is no agreed upon "standard". GH would remedy this
because everything would become a diff - plain text!

Also if people don't want to use the GH approach - they don't have to!
at no point did jcs suggest that we make everyone get a GH account and
switch to using it exclusively.