On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 11:05:12AM -0700, Aaron Bieber wrote:
> "Knowing" the tools isn't the problem. jcs@ knows how to use tar. I know
> how to use tar. The problem is that people send things totally
> differently and there is no agreed upon "standard". GH would remedy this
> because everything would become a diff - plain text!

So you want to enforce your "standard", I.E. GitHub, on everybody?

If we're going to have a "standard", why not make it the lowest common
denominator, so that people who are comfortable with creating their own
tools can easily handle it the way they want to?  Which is, basically,
the whole unix philosophy anyway.

> Also if people don't want to use the GH approach - they don't have to!

But the use of GitHub would become like a virus, in that it also affects
people who don't want to use it.

> at no point did jcs suggest that we make everyone get a GH account and
> switch to using it exclusively.

Go and read the Linux kernel archives from 20 years ago, and the flamewars
over the use of BitKeeper to manage the kernel source.