On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 11:42:08AM -0600, joshua stein wrote:
> Maybe we can do something radical like enable GitHub pull requests
> to let people submit changes against the ports repo on GitHub

Cringe.

I sincerely hope that this doesn't happen.

Just look at the typical quality of the projects hosted on GitHub, and
you'll see how relying on a set of third-party managed tools to do your
work instead of taking the time to learn the basic tools, (tar, diff,
an email program, etc), yourself can lead to laziness and poor quality.

If people can't be bothered to do things themselves or make their own
tools to automate a process, how dedicated are they likely to be?

> I believe that the GitHub repo can be configured to also email
> ports@openbsd.org on any submissions/comments there, so the mailing
> list would still be in the loop on everything for anyone that
> doesn't want to use GitHub.

So the mailing list is going to be flooded with automated mails from
GitHub, that become tedious, leading people to just skim over them
or OK them without really reviewing the content.

Honestly, I think we all want to keep the quality of the ports tree
as high as possible, and if learing to use tar and diff as a barrier to
entry for some people is doing that, I suggest we continue as we are.