As Jon W. and Matt B. were wrangling:

> > Heh, as it happens, that's one of my complaints about the Okra
> > All-Stars CD,
> > which has 9 covers out of 15 cuts, and not a single songwriter ID,
> > never
> > mind original artist names.
>>        [Matt Benz]  And if you ever find a copy of Hank McCoy's second
>>album, not only does he provide notes about all the songs, usually
>>listing original singers as well as writers, but for the album cover, he
>>"copies" what I assume is a classic country album cover (he provides a
>>Capitol (I think) catalog reference # ), and urges folks to visit the
>>COuntry Music Hall O Fame. Now, the actual material might be hit or
>>miss, but ya gotta like his spirit, Jon.

Geez, the last thing to complain about on that All-Stars disc is the presence
of credits on the re-ish.  I like all the guys involved (including Ranger Pete
R. on harp and Dobro, I think), but it was recorded way too fast and executed
way too sloppily for me to enjoy it.  "New Orleans" is a very good song,
though, almost good enough to make me forget that godawful cover of "Purple
Rain".

And the cover Matt's referring to is Hank McCoy's second record, "Still Feeling
Blue/Lately My Luck Has Been Changing", which completely stole its cover design
from a Conway Twitty/Loretta Lynn LP, down to naming itself after the two
"hits" on the record.  And Hank always listed the songwriters of his cover
tunes; hell, the boy had an MFA in the "art of country music" and is still the
only guy I know who has that 8000-LP Lefty Frizzell set on Bear Family.

  Mark Wyatt * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * One Riot One Ranger * Columbus, OH
  http://members.aol.com/oneriot/oneriot.html
  ** "That ain't no part of bluegrass...
                             that ain't no part of nothin'" (Bill Monroe) **