Jon Weisberger wrote:

> Wrt Dallas' point, I'm a tad shaky on the details, but the essence of the
> matter is that music is treated differently under the law according to the
> medium being used.  Once a song's been recorded, you don't need permission
> to record it yourself; you just have to pay the statutory royalty.  When you
> use a song in some other manner - as, for instance, quoting a portion of it
> in a book, or using it in a movie or a commercial, etc. - then permission
> must be obtained; hence the notices you find in books when song lyrics are
> quoted.

Thanks, Jon. Thanks to Deb for her sensible and helpful responses, too. This is
what I suspected was the case--I know from my few and minor editing
experiences--one academic journal, and as "sponsor" of a high school
yearbook--that publishing companies and even printing houses won't even
consider allowing a quote to go through without written permission for the
copyright. (Although most yearbook companies allow "senior quotes" to go
through, thank heavens: or else Jerry G's estate would have to hire someone
full-time to handle the requests for "What a long strange trip it's been"
<g>"). But I've seen enough CDs without copyright info that I figured the law
just had to be different. Again, I don't see the sense in that, but there you
go.

Dallas