Stevie Simkin wrote:

> > "Shane S. Rhyne" wrote:
> >
> > > Howdy,
> > >
> > > Still catching up on old P2 posts...
> > >
> > > Louise Kyme publicly admits the following about our English cousins across
> > > the sea: <<I don't find the success of Garth, Shania, LeAnn and the
> > > Mavericks makes it any worse though, because they don't really sound like
> > > country. It's the Dolly Parton & Don Williams era and sound that most Brits
> > > associate with country and laugh at.>>
> > >

> Louise, I take your point about Dolly, but I am not sure I entirely agree on the
> issue of the Big Man, Don Williams.  This may have something to do with me having a
> deep emotional attachment to his music from about the age of 12 (no, really).  But
> Don Williams isnt really someone who's a prime target for scorn.

Yes, you're right , he isn't a prime target (as Dolly is), but there is an
association.

> Dolly, yes, has
> been a bit of a joke over here, but that has more to do with her physique than her
> music.  Williams has been incredibly popular over here for a long time, so I dunno,
> maybe he *has* epitomised country for Brits,

I think if I asked my Robbie Williams adoring friend what she thought about Don
Williams she'd probably say "He's that really miserable country western singer isn't
he?" And if I said "I like Don WIlliams" she would have an image of me dressed up in
cowboy gear with cap guns and spurs, shouting Yeehaw! Ugh. What a joke it is too. If
it wasn't such a pain, I'd probably laugh as well.

> at least until the advent of
> Pumpkinhead and Shananana.

Heheh, I love your name calling <g> I don't have a major problem with Shania.  As far
as I'm concerned pop music is always going to be around, and if you take some of the
cute gimmicks from country music and make it popular, well I'd rather have than than
some of the out and out pop stuff. I'd rather have Shania than the Spice Girls. Billy
Ray Cyrus was a big problem though. He made a joke out of country music and reinforced
a lot of stereotypes.

> But I'd have to say I'd never be ashamed of being
> associated with Don Williams

I'd never be ashamed of being associated with Hank Williams, Bob Wills and Johnny
Horton, but I once made the mistake when I was still at school of letting a couple of
freinds listen to a tape of that stuff in my personal stereo, and that's something I'm
never going to do again! Over the years you learn to be thick skinned!

I actually think a lot of mainstream country music could be really popular in the UK,
but they'd have to call it something other than country, the females woulld have to
get rid of their big hairdo's and southern accents, and naturally, the guys would have
to lose the hats. Then, once the stereotypes have all gone, people would be more open
to hear the real and serious stuff as is discussed in P2.

Louise
--

If you like rocking country music, check out the Okeh Wranglers web site at:

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/bluesmoke