Dan Bentele writes:

>   Well, you probably said a number of things that folks will be
interested
>in, Tera <g>, but I am curious about the above, mainly because I
honestly
>don't know or can't remember; did Nashville actually abandon Lang?  I
>mean, was she dropped, was her budget slashed, did radio or the club
>promoters turn against her?  I don't know, and would really like to know

>why she moved away and into pop if it was for some reason other than
>just personal preference.

     As I remember it, there had been some rumors about her sexuality
here and there before she came out, but I don't think that was what
caused Nashville to turn its back on her.  I really don't recall the fact
that she was a lesbian as being a huge surprise to anyone.  More than
anything else, it was her fight with western cattle ranchers that did in
her country career, which happened shortly before she came out.  Country
radio stations out west refused to play her records until she apologized,
she refused to do so, and she became a tough sell at radio after that
since there was a big chunk of the nation in which her records wouldn't
be played.  Goodbye country, hello new career.
     I remember seeing her in New Hampshire on the "Shadowlands" tour and
it was the weirdest audience I've ever seen.  The audience was pretty
equally distributed between Silent Majority-type country fans, yuppies,
and the butchest lesbians I've ever seen in my life.
                                --Jon Johnson
                                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                   Wollaston, Massachusetts