New Hampshire Jon says:

>      As I remember it, there had been some rumors about her sexuality
> here and there before she came out, but I don't think that was what
> caused Nashville to turn its back on her.  I really don't recall the fact
> that she was a lesbian as being a huge surprise to anyone.  More than
> anything else, it was her fight with western cattle ranchers that did in
> her country career, which happened shortly before she came out.

That accords with my recollection and with the account in the Encyclopedia
of Country Music, which points out that Lang never did do well on country
radio (though she did win a country Grammy in 1989) during the 3 years
between her Sire debut and her 1990 coming out as a vegetarian, which was
actually several years before her other coming out.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/