Will Miner wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Joe Gracey wrote:
>
> > I think k.d. just ran into basically the same wall that a lot
> > of us have run into in one form or another over the years. She made it
> > deeper into alien territory than most, but so did yoakum and Ely and
> > several of them in those days and it just didn't pan out as well as we
> > all hoped.
>
> I dont know if I'd lump her together with those two (or the many other
> names that could be added).  I get the impression that Dwight, for
> instance, would keep making great country records even if he had to do it
> on a small label.  He wouldnt do it any other way.  Whereas for k.d. it
> was a matter of changing clothes when she felt like it.  I'm not trying to
> get into some kind of comparison about artistic purity here, because on
> some level it's all show business and it's all an act.  I love k.d.'s
> countryish records, But it's clear that when the going got sticky, k.d.
> chose to completely change styles.  That's not the choice that a lot of the
> other folks make in a similar situation.
>
> Will Miner
> Denver, CO

No, no , what I'm trying to describe is the frustration many artists
have felt over the past 15 years in trying to make country records and
finding that the country establishment doesn't have any use for them.
Yoakum gets the most acceptance, but just barely, but there are many of
us who at some point just gave up trying because the scene was too
closeminded to fool with. Just because k.d. gave up trying doesn't mean
her heart wasn't in it to begin with, it means she realized that she was
beating her head against a wall and gave up, as did many like her who
were ready to bring diverse talents to the party and got the door
slammed in their faces.

See, I don't view this as some kind of purity issue at all. I think a
great talent can cross genres pretty much at will and bring something to
almost anyplace they land, a la Ray Charles and Willie Nelson. I get
nervous when people start to draw lines and say that unless you commit
your whole life's work to one style only then you are not sincere. I'm
sure she had more great country records in her, as well as great pop and
rock records too. Ain't nothing wrong with that in my book.

I know many artists who are incapable of staying in one style for more
than a record or two, anyway, and whether they do well in that box or
not, they jump ship and try something else.  Some artists find something
they are good at and have a seat. It's more a personality thing than a
choice.
--
Joe Gracey
President-For-Life, Jackalope Records