On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Terry A. Smith wrote:

> Nobody's answered my earlier query, vis a vis, if Bobby Bare was thought
> to be an inspiration for the early Outlaws -- Shaver and Waylon -- then
> what exactly, if anything, was he thought to be an outlaw from? At what
> point did he decide to hang his hat with the outlaw movement, or leastways
> do some things that later outlaws felt mirrored their own feelings of
> rebellion? Or was it just an outlaw pose, as opposed to a real rebellion.

Bobby's always been a fan of songwriters, period.  First, folks like
Harlan Howard and Mel Tillis, and later, folks like Kris Kristofferson,
Billy Joe Shaver, etc.  I bet he'd say he was into the Outlaw movement
'cuz they just happened to be writin' some of the best country songs of
that era -- in fact, he *did* say somethin' like that to me last
week.--don