> Thanks for the word, Joe; I guess this is an example of Smith's Law, that
> you only notice production when it's bad. Now put down that keyboard and
> get some rest.
>
> Bob

I'll qualify that Smith's Law in this way. It is somewhat flexible,
depending on how many beers you've had. Seriously, while I respect
producers, my personal focus is on the artist, and if the producer is
taking away some of that focus by doing things that distract me from
focusing on the artist, I don't like it. Of course, this rule  is also
qualified by the fact that depending on who you are, very different things
will provide distraction. But, shit, I've got a rule named after me, so
I'll  go with it. -- Terry Smith

ps it's weird; somebody mentioned Don Williams and Crystal Gayle as
"heavily arranged" (meaning strings, etc) artists from the 70s. Back then,
I like both of them a lot. The production didn't bother me in the least.
Maybe it's just those suburban background singers from the mid-60s that
stuck in my craw. You'd be listening to a great country song and then all
of a sudden it sounded like my mom and her bridge club had joined in on
the chorus. I love my mom, but sheesh.