"Terry A. Smith" wrote:
> I think I'm gonna cut my ears off. But first I'll listen to
> the best version of Miller's Cave, by Don Williams. -- Terry Smith

The P2 Van Gogh! But check out Charley Pride's version, too. Produced by
the songwriter, Jack Clement. The reason Don's is so cool is he was also
a disciple of Jack's.

> ps And while Bobby Bare probably doesn't regret making a zillion bucks
> from those pop records, will any of you guys entertain the possibility
> that he regreted having to sap up his sound in order to make those zillion
> bucks?

See, I don't think they saw it as "sapping up his sound". That is a
viewpoint from thirty years later which implies that gritty is good and
sweet is bad, but when you are making records there are no rules like
that. Obviously there are producers who purposefully make horrible,
sappy records, but I don't think this applies here.

I bet you that he and Chet honestly thought they were making the best
records they knew how to make, and had no thought of "this may suck but
it will make us all rich". If you put this into historical context, you
have to understand that this was considered innovation, not dilution.
Chet regularly excoriates modern Nashville for its timidity because he
and his compadres prided themselves on stretching the boundaries instead
of coloring between the lines. I just don't see any of them looking back
and feeling regret because they made modern-sounding records in
hide-bound Nashville, thus ensuring them and many people to follow them
a decent living. They were just making it easier for people to use
whatever means of artistic expression they felt was appropriate, the
same thing people like Bob Wills had done years earlier.

I just felt what remained of my brains dribble down my spinal column, as
the flu has now entered my body for real....to bed, perchance to die...

--
Joe Gracey
President-For-Life, Jackalope Records