Bob Soron wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, ailin' Joe Gracey wrote:
>
> > "Terry A. Smith" wrote:
> > > I think I'm gonna cut my ears off. But first I'll listen to
> > > the best version of Miller's Cave, by Don Williams. -- Terry Smith
> >
> > The P2 Van Gogh! But check out Charley Pride's version, too. Produced by
> > the songwriter, Jack Clement. The reason Don's is so cool is he was also
> > a disciple of Jack's.
>
> I have to admit, a lot of stuff that Jack Clement produced during the
> '70s, I never got. "Dreaming My Dreams" -- and I admit here to being a
> minority of one -- had some great songs but just didn't work as an album
> for me. Jack's own album I couldn't finish. There's surely some work I
> liked a whole lot (maybe with Tompall Glaser? Can't remember those
> production credits and can't look right now, but I know they worked
> together a lot) but he's always been one of those producers I've known I
> was supposed to like but just couldn't. (And I should say this has no
> effect on how much I appreciate his songwriting.)

Johnny Cash
Jerry Lee Lewis
Charley Pride (he shared production duties, and his stuff is the best by far)
The Stoneman Family
John Hartford
Townes
Inspiration for the Don Williams/ Crystal Gayle early 70s sound
Louie Armstrong (he made a country album!)
Inspiration for Tompall's sound, even down to the vocal style
More I forget now...
--
Joe Gracey
President-For-Life, Jackalope Records