> Also, is there any audible difference between getting
> a home unit (stereo component) and buying one for a computer with the
> intent of duping music?

As far as I know, there's no audible difference, but there's a financial
one, as a friend of mine recently discovered: the standalone, home units
require discs that cost substantially more than the ones used in computer
peripherals (he says he's paying $6-$7 a disc, as opposed to $1-$2).  As I
understand it - and if I'm wrong, I have no doubt that someone will correct
me - the difference is related largely to a royalty that goes to the record
companies, purportedly to offset the cost of unauthorized duplication of
CDs; the discs used in the computer peripherals are exempt because of their
double duty as data storage media.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/