At 03:39 PM 3/5/99 -0500, you wrote:
>At 12:26 PM 3/5/99 -0800, you wrote:
>>>
>>If you the thought of having to go beyond 'Plug 'n Play' doesn't frighten
>>you, a computer CD recorder is the way to go. Besides the difference in
>>price for media noted in Jon's reply, the hardware for stand alones is more
>>expensive as well and not nearly as versatile. Stand alones won't create
>>CD-ROMs, for example. I've have my Plextor 4/12 for just over a year now,
>>and have burned over 150 CDRs without any major problems, and I highly
>>recommend it. Plextor has an excellent reputation for quality and customer
>>service, but they are also among the priciest. If you don't mind rooting
>>through a lot of pointless debate, the comp.publish.cdrom.hardware is an
>>excellent starting place for more information.
>>

>  What is required for this, software-wise.  How much was your Plextor 4/12?
>
>  D.

The Plextor 4/12 were going for $425+ back in 2/98. Since then, they've
come our with an 8 speed writer, so I'm sure the price has dropped. You'll
need a SCSI card for the Plextors and some others, but there are IDE
writers as well. 2 speed IDE writers can go for as little as $200, but I
have no idea of their quality. As for s/w, I use Easy CD Creator for CDROMs
and Nero for audio CDs. My computer is a P90 w/ 32M, so the hardware
requirements are no big deal.